Juan Carlos Niebles
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Universidad del Norte
Email: njuan, at sign, uninorte dot edu dot co
I am originally from Barranquilla (Colombia) where I got my engineering degree in Electronics from Universidad del Norte in 2002. I got my PhD from Princeton University
in 2011, under the supervision of Fei-Fei Li
; with whom I also spent some time in Stanford University
. I am now a faculty member of the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department at Universidad del Norte since 2011.
My research work is in computer vision.
The goal of my research is to enable computers and robots to perceive the visual world by developing novel computer vision algorithms for automatic analysis of images and videos.
From the scientific point of view, we tackle fundamental open problems in computer vision research related to the visual recognition and understanding of human actions and activities, objects, scene and events.
From the application perspective, we develop systems that solve practical world problems by introducing cutting-edge computer vision technologies into new application domains.
I have also worked in other topics related to embedded systems and robotics.
Maria Alejandra Davila (M.Sc. E.E.)
Ariel Nuñez (M.Sc. E.E.)
Jorge Martínez (M.Sc. E.E.)
David Altamar (M.Sc. E.E.)
Victor Escorcia (M.Sc. E.E. - Now at KAUST)
Fabian Caba (M.Sc. E.E. - Now at KAUST)
Note to prospective students: I am always looking for highly motivated students, with solid computing and math background to join my research group at the doctorate and post-doctorate levels. If you are interested, you may contact me with your CV.
- Ivan Lillo, Alvaro Soto and Juan Carlos Niebles. Dicriminative Hierarchical Modeling of Spatio-Temporally Composable Human Activities. CVPR, Colombus, USA, 2014. Project Page.
- Fabian Caba and Juan Carlos Niebles. Collecting and Annotating Human Activities in Web Videos. To appear in ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR), UK, 2014. PDF.
- Victor Escorcia and Juan Carlos Niebles. Spatio-Temporal Human-Object Interactions for Action Recognition in Videos. To appear in ICCV Workshops, Australia, 2013. Project Page.
- Victor Escorcia, Maria A. Dávila, Mani Golparvar-Fard, Juan Carlos Niebles. Automated Vision-based Recognition of Construction Worker Actions for Building Interior Construction Operations Using RGBD Cameras. Construction Research Congress. 2012.
- Juan Carlos Niebles, Chih-Wei Chen and Li Fei-Fei. Modeling Temporal Structure of Decomposable Motion Segments for Activity Classification. ECCV, Greece, 2010.
- Juan Carlos Niebles, Bohyung Han and Li Fei-Fei.
Efficient Extraction of Human Motion Volumes by Tracking. CVPR, San Francisco, USA, 2010. PDF.
- Juan Carlos Niebles, Hongcheng Wang and Li Fei-Fei.
Unsupervised Learning of Human Action Categories Using Spatial-Temporal
Words. International Journal of Computer Vision, 2008. Springer Link. PDF.
[Full publication list]